Last week went much better than it has in awhile, even though I didn’t actually end up with all that many new words. Somewhere around 500 or so, but I did a lot of editing, deleting and rewriting while I was floundering around in my origin story draft. It was a very good thing, because not only did I actually write four nights last week, I made good progress on that story, and I also clarified how I want to write these stories (there will be five to go with the longer novels), and it also started clarifying things in my mind as they pertain to both the story that’s already written, and those I’ve yet to write.
More importantly, it got me excited about writing again, and about what I’m working on. In turn, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend looking for promo items to go with this particular series, thinking about putting together miniature scenes for some books, and thinking through the plot premise of the next book.
And as an added bonus, shopping for promo items (even ordered a few) gave me some ideas about the cover art for this series – a format that should work for all the books and make it fairly easy to get my covers done without too much effort. I’ve been thinking about the best way to launch these and how many I could write to be ready for back-to-back releases later this year…
Which brings me back to the actual writing. I wrote four nights out of five last week, and I intend to do so again this week. Now that I know which direction to take these origin stories in, I should finish the one I’m working on and the second this week too, and then next week, I can start working on the next book in the series.
I’m also going to get back to work on my steampunk dragon novel. And I’m going to get to work on some writing deadlines, along with deadlines for the other steps necessary to get a book published. It’s time to get all this moving again. I’m ready. Finally.
One more excerpt from the origin story this week:
In a fit of whimsical irony, he placed the sundial on the window sill beside him. The light of a full moon cast a shadow across it’s face that told the incorrect time, of course. Putting pen to paper, he began to write. But somehow the letters didn’t look…like letters. He started over, but it happened again, and one more time after. The characters always came out as tiny symbols – not like Egyptian, but more Cyrillic in nature. When he looked closer, he saw that his second and third attempts matched the first. That was something, anyway.
Publisher Site: Brazen Snake Books