Okay, I admit it. I’m overwhelmed. Not to the point of burnout, because I’m being careful not to let myself go there, but I’m definitely at the point where even thinking about my list of things to do as far as business and marketing go makes me want to…well, not.
On the actual writing front, last week was a total bust. I don’t like to admit it, but my day job does play a part in how much I get written, even though my writing sessions are after work. The thing is, when my day job is really busy and/or stressful, I end up spending pretty much all my brain power on solving problems there, and then when it’s time to write, I have very little energy left to give my drafts. Which sucks, of course, but that’s just kind of the way it is. My word count for the week definitely reflects that, sadly enough.
Weekly Word Count:
The Time Stone (Stone Scavengers): 2,305
Yep, that’s it. I’d hoped to spend more time on it this weekend, but other things got in the way. Luckily, I do have Monday off work (President’s Day), and aside from a dentist appt. that shouldn’t take more than an hour, I have the entire day set aside to write. That should get my writing week off to a decent start. I am way, way behind on my writing/publishing schedule for the year, and I really don’t think my goals are all that lofty, but clearly I’m having trouble meeting them, so I need to go through and rework the schedule into something a bit more realistic, methinks. Sad, but necessary.
As for marketing, I felt like it was important to rewrite the blurb for my most recent release, so I did that and uploaded the new blurb to all my distributors. I also got two more books uploaded to the CTR store. I wanted to get the print formatting and cover done for F&S, but couldn’t quite get to it, but I may work on that a couple nights this week. We’ll see. It needs to be done sooner rather than later if I’m going to get those giveaways scheduled for next month!
The business side of things went pretty well. I got SideShark – my new accounting software- all set up, and got everything for January entered with no problems at all. It was/is much simpler to use than Quickbooks, which is exactly what I wanted. So that was a huge relief, actually, because it’s going to make my bookkeeping a lot easier/quicker, which will leave me more time in my designated business hours to get other things done.
I feel like I could prioritize better and work more efficiently if I sit down and divide my publishing tasks into clearly delineated “marketing” and “business” tasks. Then I could use my time more wisely on the weekends, instead of just having these huge lists to pick random projects from to work on. So that’s going to be one of the things I do this week while I’m watching TV in the evenings. Organize my tasks, allocate them to either marketing or business, and then prioritize according to projected release dates and other deadlines. That should make things run more smoothly, and it’ll certainly make my own brain much happier/less chaotic.